zaterdag 3 oktober 2009

Why men are savages

My uncle recently turned 60. To celebrate, we had a big party in a café, on the top floor. The ground level was open to regular customers.
Upon leaving for home, I was called out by an intoxicated student. His choice of subject was my coat, irrelevant ofcourse. Let's dissect why he chose to call me out.

In order to properly study this behaviour, we have to look at human beings as nothing more than animals. We are driven by urges, urges which are present in us today through natural selection. The urges and nature we showcase are present because these are proven effective for procreation. In this case, simple alpha male supremacy.
This certain student must have felt that I was a threat to his superiority, or that I was a target for him to prove his superiority.
By calling me out, he could show his alpha male status, thereby placing himself in a more positive position towards females.

My reaction, while seemingly savage and uncivilized, is natural. I wanted to rise to his challenge. I instinctively wanted to meet his challenge, to showcase that I was in fact superior to him.
By calling me out, he issued a challenge for supremacy.

In this case, I was stopped from confronting him by my company. Female company. Her natural urges were to protect her progeny, her cohort. I had already assumed the position as clear alpha male towards her, a simple challenge by a random student would not change my status. Therefore, her urge to stop me from meeting his challenge is logical, it is correct.

However, as I am not female, but male, my reaction differed. I had to meet his challenge. Not doing so, would be a sign of me forfeiting my position as alpha male to him. It would mean he would win, I would acknowledge him as the victor. This is something that no man can willingly do.
By rising to the challenge, we as men receive the chance to show our supremacy, in order to safeguard our progeny. This is our way of following natural selection. Humans who would willingly accept another as superior are genetically inferior to those who seek supremacy, and would cease to exist following the laws of natural selection. Therefore, my urge to confront him is natural, it iscorrect.

Upon being halted by my companion, I endeavoured to explain to her my reasons for needing to confront this challenge. This entry into my blog is a written attempt at putting into place these urges, these needs.

Simply put: Both the student's and my own actions are perfect showcases of alpha male behaviour. The challenger sought to establish himself as alpha, I sought to prove my status as alpha.
I wanted to walk up to him and confront him, intimidate him into backing down from his challenge. This, in an attempt to reestablish myself as the alpha.
Had he not backed down, it is clear it would have led towards (threats of) violence.
My awareness of these facts allowed me to back down, against my instincts.

I am still aware of the challenge coursing through me as I write this. I can still feel the shame of, forcibly, backing down and declaring him superior.
This simple act, which seems so commonplace and uncivilized, is so essential to human survival. This singular case is proof positive of humans being subject to urges and instincts brought to us by natural selection. Once more, a creature that backs down from a challenge is a creature that does not procreate, therefore is 'inferior'. These creatures will die out, and the challengers will remain.
This is why men are forced to act like 'savages' when challenged by strangers. It is why we are here today, what will determine whether we procreate or not.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten